Friday, December 1, 2006

How're your arms today?

In my line of work I have had the opportunity to meet interesting people, some extraordinary, some disappointing. I have worked with Wang Qishan, the Mayor of Beijing (delightful man). I have worked with Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Michael Eisner, Mijaíl Gorbachov, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan (Prime Minister of Turkey), Steve Young, Thomas Friedman, General Monty Meigs (ret.) to name a few more, plus countless internationally recognized celebrities and entertainers; almost to the point of becoming apathetic toward fame. In most cases I worked with these individuals in a setting where they shared with their audiences insightful and impressing information. From each of these I have tried to absorb something useful, something that would propel me closer to the caliber of person I wish to be. Yet I have found that the most valuable tidbits of wisdom don’t seem to come from builders of corporations or leaders of countries, they come where you’d least expect.

This evening I worked for a family who was hosting the funeral of their eleven-year-old daughter. I don’t know her cause of death, an auto accident I assume. From their stories you would know that she was a typical eleven-year-old; comical, serendipitous, loving and innocent. The memorial service had an equally melancholy tone because her younger brother was in a coma, I believe from the same event that took this young girl’s life. Despite these facts, or maybe because of them, the parents’ remarks seemed optimistic. I cannot fathom their sorrow and grief, but the strength they displayed was remarkable; continually praising God and acknowledging the support from their family and friends.

To me it was a lesson in attitude. A positive outlook makes all the difference. I know, I know, it sounds cliché, but what pushes a full, busy day over the line to a bad day? I find it interesting that the entire first chapter of the United States Army’s Survival Manual is dedicated to having a positive attitude.

I’ve worked with dozens of “Motivational Speakers” in the last eight years and I’m sure you could boil all of their material down to a twenty-five-page book about how a positive attitude is the key to success.

In closing, I hope the parents of the young girl find peace (if they haven’t already) and solace quickly and “that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of [their] bereavement, and leave [them] only the cherished memory of the loved and lost.*” For me, I feel fortunate to have observed the celebration of their daughter’s life.

Perhaps we could all do with a little cheerier disposition from day to day, maybe our lives will escalate to something better or maybe they won’t. I once heard Aron Ralston speak. He is the hiker who had to sever his own arm to survive. Ever since then, whenever I’ve had a stressful day I’ve thought to myself “well, things can't be that bad because I didn’t have to cut my own arm off today.”

* Abraham Lincoln

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SInce when did you get all motivational speaker-ish? GOod thoughts though...gives me something to chew of on for the day..BTW I was made EQP on Sunday...uhoh. Bear.